4/7/10

Phedippidations Schedule for Boston

You can find Phedippidations in the podcasts section of iTunes or at SteveRunner.com

So, as I do every year; I have a series of four episodes coming out this month to celebrate the 114th running of THE Boston Marathon.

Last week I published Fdip229: Running Legend: Tarzan Brown all about the Narragansett American Indian who twice won the Boston Marathon.

On April 11th Fdip230: Boston and the 2010 State of the Course will come out. I recorded this as I ran the first 18 miles of the course during a training run, and aside from telling you how the course looks; I’ll give you some ideas for some of the places you might want to check out while you’re in Beantown.

On April 18th Fdip231: The Qualifying Standards of Boston will be made available for download. This is an episode dedicated to the history of the BQ, one of the reasons why this race is so special. I’ll also discuss the present day standards as well as some of the reasons behind the changes the BAA has made in it’s rules over the years.

Finally, on April 25th I’ll publish episode Fdip232: The 114th Boston Marathon. This will either be my running of the course (with a bit of a historical twist this time) or my spectator coverage of the course (since, as I write this I’m not really planning on running the race).

So, there you have it: as promised, four episodes in April dedicated to THE Boston Marathon. It’s no accident that I have capitalized the definite article in that phrase, because this isn’t just any race; this isn’t just your typical marathon, this is THE Boston Marathon: a race by which all other races are compared and judged. While other great cities have some amazing events that you can run, THE Boston Marathon is the only race that which can be referred to without the supporting noun.

We’re talking about running “Boston” here. ‘Nuff said.

- Steve