4/8/10

Five miles running blind.

Okay, so here’s what happened with today’s run. John Ellis had asked me to do the following:

5 miles. 1 mile warmup. 10x 3 minutes, run progressively at 10:20/mile pace/9:50 mile pace, and 9:20/mile pace. Walk 2 minutes between reps comfortably. 1 mile warmdown.

So, with that in mind I went ahead and created a workout item within my Super Duper often faulty but good enough to train by GPS watch Training Center software. All was right with the world, until I went looking for my watch to synchronize the workout data.

I left the watch at home. In my haste to get to my office; an hour away from where I live; I had forgotten to pack my watch.

SO, I was forced to bring with me my MSN Direct watch, which has a chronometer stopwatch function, and went out for a five mile run with every intention of trying to follow John’s instructions.

Alas, I had no clue what my real pace was; so I resigned myself to running “just as comfortably as I felt I could”. The result? 53 minutes exactly for 5.3 miles. That’s a 10:00 pace and the fastest I’ve run this course since December 10th.

So, while I’ll have to apologize to John for messing up with the whole “progressive run thing” I do feel pretty good for having had a nice run today.

As for my pain, it wasn’t too bad today. I’m not sure how things will be by the time I meet up with John at mile 22 (if I decide to go ahead and run this thing), but days like today are encouraging.