8/30/10

PodCamp Boston 5: Preparing for the Future

This probably won't happen: but I’m considering hosting an open discussion at PodCamp Boston 5 (Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 8:00 AM - Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 4:30 PM ET NI Cambridge, MA) on the topic of setting positive examples, through podcasting, to make the world a better place.

This would be somewhat of a philosophical discussion, listing examples of ways that podcasters have (and should) use this medium to inspire and motivate their community to change the world, through example, for the better.

If you’re a fellow runner and plan to attend, could you let me know?  I’m really not looking for this to be a “Steve Runner” presentation…and I’m not interested in doing this on my own with a Power Point presentation or similar material.

I want to raise a good discussion, that I’ll moderate and steer.

Email me if you’re interested: steve@steverunner.com

Here is my proposal.  (Note that it might not be accepted, and I really don’t want to do it alone, so this may not go further than this blog post).

Session Title: Podcasting Positive Examples to Make the World a Better Place

Session Description: Podcasting has matured to the point where it’s purpose has gone beyond audience building and monetization. It’s an influential form of communication that can make the world a better place as social communities have formed around a variety of passions and interests that make podcasting the perfect medium for inspiration and motivation. 

I’d like to lead a discussion where podcasters (and podcast subscribers) list some of the ways that they are using this medium to encourage members of their community to participate in living their lives to the top, improving their lives and the lives of others.

In a sense, I’d like to use this discussion to help inspire attendees to inspire their own community members.

As we prepare for the future, we can use digital audio/visual episodic subscriber downloaded media to make the world a better place for ourselves and those who will come after us.  This is our time to make a difference in years to come.

-------------------------------------------

I would ask for other running-related (or any) podcasters to be a part of this discussion; for my part I'd raise as examples: (1) 5 years of the World Wide Festival of Races (2) my Boston Marathon podcast episodes (3) The Mojo Loco (and similar events) and (4) the Runners Round Table (5) the Extra Mile Podcast (6) http://www.runningpodcasts.org (7) http://www.channelrunner.org (8) http://www.runcast.tv and (9) The Running Community (currently at http://sites.google.com/site/runnetcommunity )

The goal would be for attendees to walk away with a list of ideas for events/projects and ideas that they could use, through their podcasts, to make the world a better place!

This is all preliminary, and probably won't happen, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there just to see what others thought.  Even if this doesn't happen "officially" as part of the program; we could have an "informal" meeting in the hall or elsewhere.

To be honest, I'm more inclined for this to be an informal conversation...but again...I wanted to toss this out onto the tubes of the internets...in case anyone who is attending might think it was a splendid idea.

So...what do you think?

- Steve