6/10/10

Wine Review: 2008 Gouguenheim Malbec, Vale Escondido Mendoza Argentina

Okay, have you noticed that I drink a lot of Malbec?  Have you noticed that I drink a lot of Malbec from the Mendoza region of Argentina?  Have you noticed that I SHOULD BE LIVING IN ARGENTINA working at a vineyard?

 

Yeah, welcome to my life.  When I win the lottery or accept that HUGE multi-year contract from Entercomm for Phedippidations I’m packing my wife, puppy and anyone else who wants to join us in our new life in South America.

 

So, this is going to be a VERY quick review of the ’08 Gouguenheim Malbec that I picked up at a local wine store for a mere $12 US.  I just want to get to the basics here, and understand that you’re not interested in my pontifications.


So, here we go. Quickly: because you don’t have time to read my rambings, and I have another glass of this stuff to consume.

Color (10/10)

Yeah, sue me.  I scored this a perfect TEN in color.  I did that not because I popped this open for my wife and I at dusk, but because I actually held it to the light as is my style: and YIKES, it’s the perfect color for a Malbec.

Have you ever witnessed the color of a good Malbec?  It’s DEEP DARK and PURPLE…but actually, purple only describes the hint of it’s color, this is more LICORICE color than it is purple, but when held to the light, you see this purple SHEEN…it almost GLOWS it’s so deep; which is exactly what you want in a Malbec.  Well done Gouguenheim.  Me likee.  For color, you’ve earned a 10.

Nose (26/30)
Have you ever grabbed a bowl of cherries and sprinkled hot cayenne pepper over them and taken a wiff?  No?  Really? Well, then you’ve not smelled anything like this.  It’s a combination of sweet and hot; and the combination works.  I won’t belabor the point this is worthy of a 26 score.  I’d have given it a higher score, but the nose was lighter than I’d hoped for in a Malbec, which is fine: but there was also this hint of blueberries on the nose, and it was too light to brag about: so 26 it is.

Palate (38/40)
Very nice!! This wasn’t as rich and thick as some Malbecs from Mendoza that I’ve savored, which means it’s a good summer wine.  I cooked a VERY thick steak tonight, and this wine went extremely well with the meat; but when I review wine it has to be independent of the food I’m having with it (only because I’m a doofus, and really don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to wine, so I can’t let food get in the middle of my tastings).  This Gouguenheim Malbec was great: light bodied but packing a punch in sweet tangy goodness.  The fruit shines on this one, and I got notes of red apple, cherry, watermelon and also freshly cut grass.  Remember when we were kids and chewed on grass stalks?  THAT’s what I’m talking about here: welcome to your past.  This was good stuff.  38 points, well deserved.

Overall (19/20)
I don’t score a lot of wines this high, although if you’ve been reading Intervals for a while (how long have I been writing these things?) you might disagree.  I’ll yield to your opinion; but I like to think I’m stingy when it comes to high overall ratings.  This 2008 Gouguenheim Malbec was fantastic, and overall: considering the mouth feel (light, not syrupy) the texture (no tannic crystals at all, yet still strong and powerful), and the nose (cherry pepper goodness) I have to give this a solid 19 for a score.  This is exactly what I’m hoping for in a Malbec.  I got what I wished for.

Total

10+26+38+19= 93

Interestingly this is the same score that I gave the Italian 07 Cantina Zaccagnini Riserva…but this one is well deserved.

Trust me, the  2008 Gouguenheim Malbec from the Vale Escondido in Mendoza Argentina.  It’s a GREAT Malbec that you will thank me for.

Salute!

- Steve