5/20/10

Thoughts on PodCasting 2: Barriers and Rule Breaking

July third will mark my fifth year of producing my podcast, Phedippidations.  That’s not some huge, groundbreaking milestone; but it does give me a perspective that few independent podcasters have. 

I must point out, however, that Adam Tinkoff, The Zen Runner (whom everyone loves and appreciates) has been at this podcasting thing MUCH, MUCH longer than I have.  His perspective on podcasting is much deeper and more interesting than mine since he has produced independent content on a variety of topics, including: music, weight loss, health and fitness, running and even SHOCKING NEWS!

Me? I’m just the runner boy: interesting like a train wreck, goofy like the dog.

But as I wrote in my first post of this series, many of the original band of podcasters have “pod-faded”.  They’ve lost interest in this media, or found what they deem to be more important things to occupy their time.

Which is why Adam’s response to part one of this series was so perfectly correct and insightful: “I share in your nostalgia for the early days of podcasting, but the best is yet to come!” he wrote.  “Most of the great podcasters haven't shown up yet! If you're reading this, what are you waiting for? Get busy!

Adam is, of course, right….but I’d like to take it one step further.

Right now, reading this goofy little blogpost, is the NEXT great podcaster: YOU.

No Barriers to Entry

And why not?  What’s to stop you from using your computer (or cell phone), right now, to record your own podcast?  In the past five years the cost and complexity of entry into this medium has fallen dramatically.  Where before you had to concern yourself with the inner workings of audio processing, manual RSS manipulation and file formatting; today you can use FREE online services such as Talkshoe, iPadio, Posterous, Qik, UStream and YouTube, to create sharable downloadable content.

All you need is some kind of device with Internet access, and your voice (and/or video image) can be uploaded to services like iTunes and RunCast.TV for distribution around the world!

Podcasting Breaks the Rules

It might seem counter-promotional for this five year veteran of podcasting to suggest (beg) that you pick up a microphone and start producing your own “show” on the topic of running; but that’s one of the great things about podcasting: the old rules of traditional “over-the-air” commercial broadcasting does not apply here.

Prior to my foray into the world of podcasting, I worked for ten years (from 1983 through 1993) as a radio broadcast engineer.  I’ll spare you the details of my resume, except to say that I was, in the course of my brief and early career, chief engineer of the number one rock and roll (album oriented rock) radio station in Boston.  I also designed and built radio station “on-air” studios all over the world.  In the course of this work, I became well versed in the “rules” of commercial radio:

  1. Never mention the competition.
  2. Always self promote.
  3. All views and opinions must be crafted to agree with that of the audience.
  4. Listeners are peons (i.e. less deserving of dignity and respect than you).
I always found these rules to be inane and demonstrative of deep insecurities within the commercial radio universe.

But those “rules” do not apply to podcasting.  In the “pod-o-sphere” we are eager to promote other podcasts.  We have no need to self promote (you chose to subscribe, and if you don’t like it: you stop downloading the show). All thoughts, opinions, and observations are those of the producer: just as they would be in person over an ice cold Sam, or a steaming hot cup of Joe.

And, most importantly of all: Listeners are our friends: Literally.

If you’re reading this and have ever thought of me as the “host” of Phedippidations, with a large and expanding audience of devoted listeners; then you’ve missed the whole point of my “show”.  It doesn’t matter if I have 10 or 10,000 “listeners”, what matters is how many FRIENDS I have.

See: the REAL goal in podcasting is to make as many friends as you can.

So, if you find the idea of making MANY friends all over the world who share a passion for our sport of running, and if you like the idea of breaking old-media traditional rules: then you should seriously consider producing your own podcast.

As I approach the fifth year of my own goofy little show; I can think of no better way to celebrate than to listen to the voices of friends who might lend their voices to our network of fellow runners.

You are the next great podcaster; and you have many friends around the world who would very much like to run with you.

In the words of the great Zen Runner himself: “If you're reading this, what are you waiting for? Get busy!