6/29/12

Broken Wing and What I Would Do


Hello Steve!

So I'm in need of a bit of advice. As a more seasoned runner than myself I hope you can share some experience with me.

I was recently in as bike accident (I think some of your Massachusets drivers might have been on vacation in my neck of the woods) which left me with a fractured radial head in my left arm. As a person who is left handed this is quite bothersome, as a runner who signed up for his first marathon (which is in October) this is even worse. 

The doctor has said this will take 6-8 weeks to heal, I know that you are not a doctor, but have you ever dealt with a similar injury? I'm sort of wondering what you would do in this situation, I obviously want to let this heal, but not being able to exercise is driving me crazy! 

How crazy is it to attempt to run in a sling? I mean i can try cross training on a stationary bike, and walking but I'm fearful that I will lose my base fitness and be forced to fit all of my training into a far too compacted time frame. Should I give up and cross this year's TC Marathon off of my to-do list? Or should I walk/bike and then run as much as possible when I'm healed? Should I perhaps try and adopt the run-walk approach?
Any/all advice is much appreciated, and as always thanks for the highly entertaining podcasts!

Thanks,
Albert