3/1/12

I'm Moving to Key West for the REST OF MY LIFE


My wife has been telling me about this place for twenty years.  

I had my doubts.

I doubt no longer.

I totally get it now, and I’m not so sure that I’m ever going to leave.

Key West Florida: it’s not just about the warmth.  It’s not just about the “laid back attitude” of the place.  It’s not even about the deep blue skies, the Hemingway-isk seclusion that inspires the written word to flow or the chemical acceptance of C2H5OH prior to Noon and beyond.



I belong here. 

This is where I’m supposed to be. 

I’m supposed to be sitting by the ocean, Mojito, Margarita, or fine glass of Malbec in hand…with my Word Processor de Jour at my fingertips…cranking out thoughts, opinions, observations and rambling diatribes for my friends and fellow runners around the world to contemplate.

Or ignore.

See, THAT’s the thing about this place.  Caring is OPTIONAL. 

It’s not that I don’t maintain affection for my fellow runners and faithful audience, it’s just that: out here, the dynamic is skewed. I’m not here to promote STEVE RUNNER or some goofy little podcast that might have brought me some “notoriety”.  Here, I’m just some “dude” soaking in the Rays, reading books on the topic of Philosophy and trying to expand my very limited perception of the world.

I was this guy who had a very narrow view of the Universe….I’m STILL that guy, but I’m staring to understand that the world around me is much more INTERESTING and incredible than I ever understood it to be.

I mean…seriously; look at me. 

I’m this New England Roman Catholic GUY who came down to the most southern point in the Continental United States and completely EXPUNGED the flotsam and jetsam that was RATTLING around my SKULL to open myself to some new ideas in the adventure of LIFE 2.0.

Does this mean that I’m rejecting the “Steve Runner” of the past fifty years of Life 1.0?

Hardly. 

What this means is that I’m giving some “alternative ideas” an opportunity to “fester” in my head.

Festering is a good thing.  It’s giving NEW ideas a “chance” to grow. 

I refer you to the Desiderata, the key theme of which includes:
possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story.”
I’m sitting here by pool-side, glass of Cab Sauv in hand, ready to listen to the thoughts of others.  I may not agree with everything they have to say: but I’ll damn well respect them for their opinions.
That’s the beauty of this place. That’s the brilliance of Key West.
Steve Runner
Key West
March 1st, 2011