3/20/11

26.2 On My Own Terms

I needed a win today, and I got it done. Two 10 mile loops around the house and I finished up with a 6 mile loop (plus the obligatory 0.02; thanks for the great advice Adam). I felt great, as expected, through mile 25. I ran the first 3 miles with a 3:2 run/walk ratioand then did 30 seconds/30seconds for the remainder. By the end of the 1st 10 mile loop I felt awesome; by mile 13 I was still feeling great, into the second half of the second 10 mile loop (around mile 16) I started to weaken, but not that badand still on target run/walk wise. This was the single most important run I think I have ever completed. Todays run really had NOTHING to do with running; it was all about doing something I loved on my own terms without care for clock or outside (imaginary) pressures. I really feel like todays run was a turning point in my running; and in a lot of ways: my life. My wife was there for me the entire way, watching me live on Endomondo and ready to rescue me if it didnt work out. This was a BIG win today; on a day that I honestly wasnt sure what I could do. I went into this run without expectation: and approached it with the question I wonder if I can run a marathon today? Turns out that I could. Turns out that I can do just about anything.