7/3/10

Thoughts on my Podcasting Quinquennial

On the next episode of Phedippidations (which will be available at midnight, tomorrow: July 4th), I’m going to be celebrating the 5th anniversary of my podcast.  Before that day arrives, I’d like to take this moment to give you a little of my perspective on how this new media has developed over the past five solar orbits.

In the beginning Adam Curry came up with the idea to automate, deliver and synchronize online textual and audio content with portable audio players and computers.

And the podosphere was without form, and void, and silence was upon the face of the podosphere and the spirit of early adopters moved upon the face of the podosphere.

And Adam Curry said “Let there be podcasts”; and there were podcasts. And it was good.

Back in July of 2005, when I threw together the first episode of Phedippidations, there was a palatable buzz going around with regards to new media.  According to Apple and other sources, there were only about 8,000 podcasts being produced back then, but as this was user created content: that number grew to over ten times that amount in 2006 to about 83,000 and in 2007 there were around 125,000 podcasts being produced.  The numbers only increase after that, although it should be noted that many shows have since podfaded; ending production after only a short run.

A company named eMarketer published a report back in February of 2008 regarding the number of podcast listeners in the world; and estimated that back then there were 18.5 million podcast listeners, and that 65 million would be listening to podcasts by the year 2012.  25 million of those 65 will be active listeners, downloading and listening to at least one podcast per week.

In 2005 and 2006, the podcasting vibe felt very different.  There was this understanding that we podcasters were going to become famous, and a feeling that we might even be able to quit our day jobs to produce our shows full time; becoming rich and famous in the process.

The success of podcast media companies such as PodShow made us feel that anything was possible.  At it’s incorporation, PodShow hired a select group of podcast producers; such as Dawn and Drew…enabling these hosts to actually quit their day jobs and travel the country to meet their fans and build their audiences. 

Here in New England, an organization called the New England Podcasting Group formed, meeting every few weeks or so at several pubs and local eateries to discuss all things podcast related.  It was the golden age of podcasting, with a creative explosion of talented hosts all presenting content born of their passions and expertise.

That is my impression of the early days of podcasting; but while many of the original podcasters are no longer creating their shows, I firmly believe that the BEST is yet to come.

I look at old media as the model for that, when the novelty of radio and television wore off, only those who were passionate about creating content survived…many of them moving into commercial ventures. 

WEEI Radio 590 AM in Boston, a commercial radio station where I worked for about five years, started broadcasting in 1926 born out of a desire by the Edison Electric Illuminating company to build publicity for it’s power generation business. 

Two years before that, in 1924 WBZ radio, another station in the Boston market that I worked at for several years as a contract engineer, went live on the air.  These were the golden days of broadcasting.

I honestly believe that podcasting is reaching a maturity that ensures it’s permanent place in our society.  This is media on demand: a subscription based variety of programs on subjects ranging from politics, music, religion, and running.  This is the peoples medium, where anyone can take to the microphone and speak their mind, share their passion and inspire a community of like minded friends.

Podcasting has developed from this clicky-geeky-poor audio quality programs of rich content into something that anyone with a creative spirit and desire to speak can create in order to reach others.

Five years is not a long time; a mere 5.56 percent of a 90 year human lifespan and when my wife pointed out to me that the anniversary of this show was nearing, I originally intended to make a brief note of it and move on.

But we have to make the time to celebrate our life accomplishments, like birthdays, wedding anniversaries and the various annual holidays that will come up from time to time…because every day is a cause for celebration, every day we have reasons to open up the window and shout out to the universe I AM SO HAPPY TO BE ALIVE!  Even if you don’t subscribe to the idea, as I do, that our existence in this universe is flavored with purpose…you must still celebrate your accomplishments, no matter how small or goofy you think them to be.

In the past five years podcasting has seen many changes.  Probably the most significant change is that old media corporate professional broadcasting networks have begun producing podcasts; As I record this the top ten podcasts on iTunes includes programming from Chicago Public Radio, National Public Radio, the New York Times and Apple. While some might lament the overwhelming influx of professional podcasts flooding the podosphere, I welcome this change: because it means that a goofy little podcast like Phedippidations has the same technical likelihood of being heard by listeners of an ESPN produced podcast.  They may have the money and marketing dollars to promote their show: but in the end, they are just another podcast out there…to be heard by anyone interested in their content.


I see great things for podcasting; and I’m honored that I was there near the beginning.  I’ve learned a lot in the past few years; and probably the most important thing I’ve learned is: humility.  Like many, I had dreams of fame and fortune, but now that reality has set in I’ve come to realize that podcast was never about being famous and having your name printed on national magazines or NPR and the BBC…I’ve done that, and while it was cool to be recognized, it wasn’t as important as the connections and friendships I’ve made over the past five years.

Going forward, this podcasting stuff can only get better…because now we know that it’s not about being a radio star: it’s about friendships.  I know how that sounds, belive me…I’m not a deep thinker or philosophical wonder by any measure.  What I am is a fellow runner; blessed to live this life in a time where through this goofy little podcast I can reach like minded people all over the world who are, like me, living their lives to the top.

We don’t have much time.  Our lives in this reality will end one day soon, and the memory of what we’ve done here will fade to oblivion…but that doesn’t mean we should not live this life to it’s top, and to do so with all the power and love and sweat and passion that we have within us.  Open up the windows today and shout out to the universe I AM HERE, AND I AM SO HAPPY TO BE ALIVE! 

That’s what podcasting can do for you.  It’s not important how many will listen to you, it’s only important that you express yourself for the permanent record.  I know I have at least 10 of you out there that are hearing my voice, and that you understand my passion…and in a universe that’s 156 billion light years wide to reach those ten people is a magnificent thing.

See, the scientists of SETI and the philosophers of old have asked the questions that already have an answer.  We are not alone in the Universe so long as we have each other.

Over the past five years, I’ve had the privilage of sharing the passion of life with you, and I am both appreciative and humbled that you would lend me your ear.


But most of all, I’m honored to run with you, and be your fellow runner and friend.

I’m Steve Runner, reminding you to run long and taper.