4/9/10

Running, Running, in da Rain.


Walking in the Rain

Flash in the Pan

Walking down the street

Kicking cans

Looking at the billboard

Also ran
Summing up the people
Checking out the race
Doing what I'm doing
Feeling out of place

Walking, walking in the rain

Feeling like a woman
Looking like a man
Sounding like a no-no
Make it when I can
Whistling in the darkness
Shining in the light
Coming to conclusion
Right is might is tight 

Walking, walking in the rain

Come in all you jesters
Enter all you fools
Sit down no-no
Ogre, ghouls
Trip the light fantastic
Dance the swivel hips
Coming to conclusion
Button up your lips

Walking, walking in the rain
Walking, walking in the rain 


What a GREAT run today!  I was a little confused by John’s instructions (because my brain is this tiny, baby little thing) where he asked me to run “5 miles. 1 mile warmup. 10x 3 minutes, run progressively at 10:20/mile pace/9:50 mile pace, and 9:20/mile pace. Walk 2 minutes between reps comfortably. 1 mile warmdown.”

So, like the good little automaton that I am, I programmed that dutifully into my GPS watch.  But as I was running (sans MP3 player by the way) that same teenie little brain of mine got to thinking: 3 minutes + 2 minutes time 3 sets = 15 minutes times 10 reps = 150 minutes…plus a warm up and cool down mile means I’d be running for well over 2 hours!
Now, that’s not a problem: I had the day off today (from work) and it was a nice cool spring rain (nice to run in) so, I was up for a long run…except I don’t think John wanted me to go for a long run (and I didn’t bring my Droid with me, so I couldn’t call him while I was out there).  So, instead I just resigned myself to running 10:20 for 3, taking a 2 minute walk break, running 9:50 for 3, taking another walk break, then 9:20 for 3 and yes, another 2 minute walk break.

In total then, I ran 5.17 miles in 1:01:52 (11:57/mi avg pace, including the walk breaks).  This was a very easy run; I felt very comfortable out there, in fact I had to struggle NOT to run too fast (I always seemed to start out in the 7:30/mi pace at first and had to slow myself down for the rest of the 3 minutes).

MESSAGE TO JOHN ELLIS: Sorry if I messed this up today, I think you wanted to see what my HR was for the 3 minute pickups at progressively faster intervals, and I did get through 3 reps of what I thought you wanted me to run.  Data is available at Buckeye!