4/16/10

Just a Little Bit More

In April of 2007 I produced episode 92 of Phedippidations, titled “A Duel in the Sun”, and concluded the show with an essay that seems just as fitting today, three years later:

We’ve been through a lot together, fellow runners, and now the talk is over.  You’ve been with me, every week, since I started training for the 111th Boston Marathon back around Christmas, with episode 76: The Moderate Consistent marathon plan, designed and promoted by the Hanson Brothers.

We’ve run together on good days and bad…warm days and bitterly cold, sunny days and blizzards…but we did it together, you and I.

I know how that sounds.  I’m over here behind a microphone, and you’re out there with your earbuds jammed in your head…we’ve never met in person, we’ve only run together in spirit…right?  This declaration that we’ve somehow “run together” isn’t meant to be taken literally, right?  I mean…I’m just some guy on the radio.

But I’m not some guy on the radio.  I’m a guy, on a podcast…a real person…better yet; I bet I’m a lot like you: a fellow runner.  I’m not a Podcaster, come on….so many of you say such kind things about this show, but think about it seriously for a minute: would a commercial radio station ever really let me on the air?  Of course not…they’d be crazy to….because I’m not a Podcaster….I’m just like you, a runner…but I’m not lucky enough to be able to run with you in person…believe me, I wish I could…you have no idea how much I’d benefit as a runner to be able to run with you each week…but, in a very real sense…in a very literal sense, I have run with you each week…I really have.

It’s not an imaginative expression for me to say that you’ve been with me…every time you’d given this podcast a listen, because part of running with someone in reality is knowing that they are there for you, be it in person or in spirit.  There’s a true value to both of those things…but were we to run together and never say a word to each other…the inspiration and camaraderie would be the same…I know you were there for me, and you’d know I was here: for you.

So, we really have trained together…we really have run together….this isn’t some cheap trick of semantics.  It means a lot to me that you’re there, and I want you to know how sincere I am when I say that.

I’m not smart enough, or talented enough to be on the radio, or to consider myself a great Podcaster…but I am a runner, and I appreciate your friendship and support…and for being with me on the good days, the bad days, the warm, cold, sunny and snow days.

We’ve run a lot of miles together, you and I....but I need to ask you to run with me just a little bit more.

I am Steve Runner, reminding you to run long, and taper.

April 16th, 2007